Thursday, December 27, 2012

Christmas Day in the City

Christmas time is my absolute favorite time of the year. As kids, we spent Christmas Eve night bedded down on the floor, eyes fixed upon the faint glimmer of light and shadows seeping through the crack beneath the bedroom door, and ear pressed against the warm hard wood in (almost) silent anticipation of any vestige of the arrival of dear St. Nick (or at least I did).

After learning the truth behind the existence of Father Christmas, the "magic" behind the season seems to evanesce with each new year for most children. As a child of 26, Christmas "spirit" seems to be more of a grand and ambitious achievement rather than a magical feeling these days. Every year I adorn my apartment or home with festive decor, put How the Grinch Stole Christmas on a loop, and tune in to my favorite Christmas stations via Pandora beginning sometime in late November with the stubborn hope of granting the spirit of Christmas just enough time to possess my readily accepting heart. It just hasn't taken hold these last few years.

I love being a father. It's a privilege that I earnestly and affectionately hold dear. This being my first Christmas as a father, I am grateful to have discovered the most amazing way to begin to truly and amply experience said fleeting Christmas spirit once more via the arrival of my lovely daughter Eloise into our world on April 21 of this year.

I am convinced that when you choose to become a parent, you are blessed with a renewed sense of wonder in regards to the magical stories we once held so dear as kids. That being said, this has been the most magical Christmas season thanks to Ella and my beautiful girlfriend Tamara.
After spending the weekend with family and friends, we awoke on Christmas afternoon and shared a wonderful day together that was made all the more magical by the first snow of the season here in Dallas but more so by the culmination of our first Christmas together as a family. I can only be thankful, and hope that next Christmas will be just as stark.

BEFORE - 11:00am                                                 AFTER - 1:00pm


1 comments:

This brought tears to my eyes. There is nothing like experiencing the world again through the eyes of a child. Cherish every minute you get with that precious gift from God. She will teach you so much. Her heart is pure and innocent. She is untainted by the world...yes, she can teach you so much.
I am thrilled that you are writing again. You do it oh so well. God has given you many gifts. Use them wisely and in a way that pleases Him...in a way that would make Him smile. A heart of a father will know how. He's a father too.

I love you,
Your Mom

Post a Comment